Rubbish Collection - Rubbish is collected every Tuesday, even if Monday is a holiday. Recyclables are collected each Wednesday. Place items to the curb after 4:00 p.m. on the evening before pickup.
Stickers (available at Nichol's Supermarket) are to be placed on the garbage bag, NOT on the can.
Need a blue bin? Blue recycle bins are available at the Village Hall or by calling the DPW department.
Large Item Pickup - Large items are picked up on regular trash day. They must have the appropriate stickers placed on them. The orange stickers are for up to 30 lbs. and the green stickers are good for up to 15 lbs. Below is a list of common items and their appropriate number of stickers.
To dispose of items containing Freon, please contact OCRRA at 453-2866
OCRRA Household Hazardous Waste Days - Check out the OCRRA website for information about collection days for household chemicals and hazardous waste.
Disposal of TV's, Microwaves or Fluorescent lights
Please note that the Village DPW can no longer pick up these items. Call OCRRA at 453-2866 for further information.
The following disposal information is provided by the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency:
Old Computer Equipment, TVs and Microwaves:
Bruin Computer Trading & Recycling - 1001 Vine Street - outside drop-off available 24/7
Call 410-0050 ext. 103 with any questions.
Old Computer Equipment and TVs:
Best Buy stores accept TVs under 32" and monitors for $10 each. You receive a $10 Best Buy gift card for each item. Computer equipment is also accepted.
OCRRA Electronics Collection Days:
May 21, July 16 & October 15, 2011 from 8 am to 2 pm at the Ley Creek Transfer Station.
Participating Home Depot stores (compact fluorescents only) or
Bring them to OCRRA's Household Hazardous Waste Days
LEAF PICKUP WILL BEGIN OCTOBER 23rd. PLEASE RAKE THE LEAVES (only leaves!) TO THE CURB NOT IN THE ROAD. Leaf pickup is ongoing - there is no set pickup schedule.
Yard Waste Pickup - Yard waste is picked up on the 1st & 3rd Monday of each month from April to October. Yard waste includes grass, brush, leaves, seedlings, shrubbery, Christmas trees and trimmed tree branches. Yard waste DOES NOT include dirt, stone, lumber or debris resulting from private or professional tree removal.
The yard waste policy is intended for the use of Village of Liverpool residents, and excludes waste left by any professional service provider. It is not intended to include any waste from tree removal, whether the tree is removed by a professional tree service or the homeowner.
Yard waste does not need to be tied, but must be placed in small, neat piles at curbside (not in the street) according to the requirements listed below. NO PLASTIC BAGS PLEASE!
Yard waste should be placed at the Village curbside any time after 4:00 p.m. on the day before the scheduled pickup and should be processed as follows:
A. - Trimmed tree branches, shrubbery, and other trimmings too large to be swept up shall be placed into piles meeting the following requirements:
- total amount of all piles to be put out on any given pickup day may not exceed 10 feet in length, 2 feet in height, and 3 feet in depth;
- no bundle or single piece of yard waste can exceed the weight of 75 pounds;
- no single piece of yard waste shall exceed 3 feet in length, nor 4 inches in diameter.
B. - Grass, brush, leaves, and seedlings small enough to be raked up shall be placed in any of the following containers:
- paper bags;
- corrugated cardboard boxes
- appropriate metal or plastic containers, none of which when filled shall exceed the weight of 75 pounds and all of which shall be labeled as yard waste for identification by the hauler.
Yard waste brought about by storm damage is to be processed in the same manner as above during yard waste season (April through October). Any resident with yard waste that is the result of storm damage after October should contact the Public Works Superintendent at 457-1882.
Any questions pertaining to the yard waste policy should be directed to William Asmus, Village of Liverpool Public Works Superintendent.
If there are any questions as to whether the Village will pick up certain yard waste, please contact Superintendent Asmus at the above number before commencing work.
The Liverpool Village Department of Public Works Superintendent is a supervisory position with responsibility for overseeing the proper maintenance and repair of all village streets, sidewalks, trees, storm sewers, cemetery, parks, buildings, and grounds. The Superintendent will effectively supervise, contract, or perform any activity necessary in the field of public works for the Village of Liverpool. The DPW Superintendent is responsible for the development of and follow-through on department procedures for the following inter-departmental inter-agency protocols and for all department results. The Superintendent prioritizes department activities based on requests from Village residents, routine work, emergency situations and directives from the Village Board of Trustees.
Some of the essential functions of the DPW Superintendent include:
- Oversees required duties for removal of snow and ice from village streets
- Makes recommendations to the Village Board regaring major projects, materials, equipment and personnel
- Oversees the work of all contractors. Advises the Village Board on payment to contractors.
- Coordinates and supervises project work, collaborating with the village engineer and other contracted professionals as required
- Prepares and maintains the department budget
-Enforces regulations and maintains accurate record keeping in compliance with all OSHA and DOT safety requirements for personnel operating motor vehicles, using heavy machinery and working with hazardous chemicals for the department.
Liverpool Cemetery is a municipal cemetery operated by the Village of Liverpool. Much of Liverpool Village was originally part of New York State’s Salt Springs Reservation, and the land was deeded from the State to the Village with the understanding that the ground would always be used for a cemetery. However, beginning in about 1800, residents began burying their dead in the center of the village in what would become Johnson Park. In 1846, in accordance with the State’s original intentions for the land, bodies were removed from the park and reburied at the current site. Those that could not be identified were buried along the top of the hill, which became known as Stranger’s Row. There are a number of stones in the cemetery commemorating deaths earlier than 1846. These represent either known burials moved from the park, or they are simply memorial stones for those who could not be found.
The cemetery is bordered by three quiet village streets and by Tulip Street, a through street that bears heavy traffic. Standing in the flat portion of the cemetery at the bottom of the hill, the eye is drawn upward through trees and tombstones. A main pathway leads to the top of the hill from the road on the flat portion of the cemetery. At the top of the hill, one looks down at the traffic on Tulip Street, but throughout the cemetery the topography ensures the pervading peace and repose.
The years have taken a toll on some landscape features such as pathways and stone walls, as well as tombstones, and there have been occasional incidents of vandalism. However, Liverpool Cemetery is as much a symbol of village life as the park at the center of the village. Although in need of renovation, it is both a peaceful reverent place and an invaluable historic resource. It has been and continues to be the site of walking tours for both children and adults, with themes that include tombstone styles, public health, immigrants, economics, veterans of wars ranging from the American Revolution through Viet Nam, and more.
Like cemeteries everywhere, Liverpool Cemetery has many stories to tell. But unlike cemeteries everywhere, many have to do with the village’s unique history, and the stones there speak for those who can no longer speak for themselves. Liverpool was settled in the late 1700s for the sake of the salt available by boiling water from natural salt springs near Onondaga Lake. Salt would later be shipped on the Erie and Oswego Canals throughout the new nation.
The Jaqueth family, for example, were prominent salt manufacturers. Joseph Jaqueth (d. 1872) was the first President of the village at its incorporation in 1830 and is commemorated with the requisite prominent citizen’s obelisk. His brother Sampson (d. 1874), also a salt manufacturer, has a somewhat smaller stone that is marked by a poignant inscription. While salt duties financed much of the construction of the canal system, the canals in turn took their toll. Sampson’s 6-year-old son Charles drowned in the canal, probably near his father’s salt works.
The Lucius Gleason family is marked by an even bigger monument located in the coveted position at the top of the hill. Lucius Gleason, who came to be known as “Liverpool’s millionaire,” was the eldest son of early settlers Ara and Mary Gleason. The Gleason fortune was at first based on salt, shipping, and trade, but later, following the trend of 19th-century American economics, made money on money as Gleason was the founder and president of the Third National Bank in Syracuse, NY. Lucius Gleason was an icon for his fellow villagers who symbolized the American dream of the time: that if you only apply yourself and work hard, you can succeed mightily. The Gleason House is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Irish immigrants boiled salt, built the canal, and made their own mark on the village. James O’Neill, the son of Irish immigrant Peter O’Neill, married Lucy Batchelder who was the daughter of early (non-Irish) settlers despite some prevailing anti-Irish sentiments among the “old-timers.” James made his fortune in Missouri but chose to come home to Liverpool for burial in the only above-ground mausoleum in the cemetery, constructed especially for James O’Neill and his relatives.
A wave of German immigration began in the mid-1850s. They came for employment in the salt boiling blocks but were responsible for beginning the livelihood that would support much of the village by the 1890s. John Fischer (d. 1897) brought the craft of willow basket weaving with him from the old country. Finding wild “swamp willow” here, he sold his first sewing basket (so goes the local story) to Mrs. Patrick Timmons for 50 cents. Fischer was followed by friends, relatives and others, and by 1896 Liverpool willow weavers shipped some 360,000 hand-woven willow laundry baskets alone through the United States by canal and rail.
Headstones in this cemetery also record the range of acceptable monument materials over time. The earliest stones in this cemetery are generally on high ground and made of granite. Later stones made of limestone have not fared so well. There is at least one monument of zinc. Popular from the mid1870s to World War I, the so-called “white bronze” was peddled by salesmen for its durability and symbolism of progress. Zinc monuments are of course hollow. It is said that John Aiken’s zinc monument was a handy place to hide liquor during Prohibition.
Headstones in this cemetery also tell of the changing culture and symbolism surrounding death. Early tombstones may list the cause of death, such as by cholera or drowning, but this practice dwindles over time. Symbolism abounds. Next to James Johnson’s monument is a stone tree stump marker for his son, the tree of life cut short. A stone lamb reclines on the stone of the infant William Radke, symbol of Christ, meekness, sacrifice, childhood, and innocence. The stone of another child, Ida May, is marked by a carved broken flower. Marie Weiss’s stone has an excellent carving of a hand pointing upward, indicating reward for the righteous and confirmation of life after death.
Occupations are also listed for some occupants, contrary to prevailing style. Capt. James Wentworth (1868-1958) was a boatman all his life. Born on a canal boat, he lived in Liverpool during the winter and on the boats the rest of the year. At 14 he drove mules and horses to tow the canal barges. He came from a canal family. His father James was killed by lightening while standing on the deck of a canal boat. Wentworth was proud of his heritage and his tombstone depicts a canal boat. Similarly, Elizabeth Gurnett was a 20th century Village of Liverpool historian, and her tombstone proudly records that fact.